Safety Tips for the Holidays

9 Dec

giftYou’re decking your halls and jingling your bells. We want to make sure your holidays are merry and bright and often that means making a list and checking it twice to make sure you reduce potential hazards in your home and the homes you visit.  Here’s our revised guide on safety tips for the holidays.

Potential Poisoning:

Mistletoe and Holly are beautiful but also toxic. Pointsettas often make the list as well, but truth be told they aren’t as dangerous as the other two. Warning signs of possible plant poisoning include rashes, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

Bubble lights: They can be mesmerizing for a young child but they’re filled with methylene chloride.  Best to view the tree from a distance, if it’s filled with these.

Alcohol: Many cocktails are colorful and pleasing to the eye and some even include ice cream and/or whipped cream. It’s not uncommon to misplace your drink as a young child and grab the one you think is yours. Have kids decorate with different stickers or markers to avoid a mix up.

 Never place gift wrapping paper in your fireplace, as this can cause noxious fumes or a quickly spreading fire. Also, do not put items such as scrap lumber, vegetation or even parts of a holiday tree into your fireplace, as these can create an excessively large and hot fire that can damage your fireplace and chimney, or suddenly becomes uncontrollable.

O Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree

Your branches really are so lovely, in the beginning, but then they dry out and become a fire hazard.  It’s important to keep your tree fresh and nourished.  And, while we’re at it, well secured in the stand.  Don’t not underestimate the power of a child to accidentally knock the tree over on the way to their next adventure, especially when dryness has weakened it.

christmastreeThe lights are awesome too but even the smaller ones get hot if they have been on for a long time.

The ornaments tell a story all their own. Unfortunately many a pediatrician will tell you a story or two about a toddler that bit into an ornament. It only takes a second.  Even if you don’t have toddlers anymore, but have some on your guest list, it’s a great idea to make sure lower ornaments are kid-friendly.

 Be sure your holiday tree is mounted on a sturdy base so children, elderly persons or family pets cannot pull it over on themselves. And of course, place your holiday tree in water or wet sand to keep it from drying out and becoming a fire hazard.

Holiday Candles:

Such tradition and beauty, a celebration of light, but they can not be left unattended, not only because of the fire factor, but the hot wax as well.

Choking Hazards:

ribbonRibbons and tinsel and bows oh my!  Again, eye catching and yet oh, so hazardous, not only to your kids but to your pets as well.  Be on the watch for plastic parts that secure the toy to the box and for packing peanuts that can be mistaken for a treat.

There is so much beauty in the Holidays to be enjoyed, but it’s wise to make sure all is calm and all is safe.  If you’d like more information on how you can keep your home safe and warm for the holidays (yes, it’s time to winterize!), contact us today.  We’re happy to help.

article sources include KidsHealth.org,  Home Wizard, and Parenting.com